The security of your account is our top priority at Colonial. If your ATM or debit card has been lost or stolen, please contact your nearest banking center for assistance during regular banking hours. For assistance after hours, please call 1-800-535-8440 to speak to our third-party support team.
Remember: Colonial will never ask you for personal or financial information – like password, Identification (ID), or account numbers – through unsolicited emails or pop-up windows.
Consumer Tips: To avoid becoming a victim of debit card fraud, follow these tips from the American Bankers Association:
- Immediately notify your bank if your card is lost or stolen.
- If you have a reason to suspect fraud, check your account balance right away by calling the bank, visiting your account online or through a mobile app, or at the ATM.
- Use your hand to shield the ATM keyboard as you enter your PIN. Often, criminals attempt to capture your PIN using a tiny camera attached to the ATM.
- Keep your receipts to check against your statement.
- Keep a record of card numbers, expiration dates and 1-800 numbers for banks so you can contact the issuing bank easily in cases of theft.
- Mark through any blank spaces on debit receipts, including the tip line at restaurants, so the total amount cannot be changed.
- Know your limits. Many issuers limit daily purchases and withdrawals for your protection.
- Be wary of those trying to help you, especially when an ATM "eats" your card. They may be trying to steal your card number and PIN.
- Do not give your PIN number to anyone over the phone. Thieves often steal cards and then call the victims for their PIN, claiming to be law enforcement or the issuing bank.
- Always take your receipts or transaction records with you.
- Do not leave your ATM card lying around the house or on your desk at work. No one should have access to the card but you.
- Check your bank statements often. Report unauthorized transactions immediately.