One Month Before The Move
- Make babysitting and/or pet care arrangements for moving day.
- File a change of address form at the U.S. post office.
- Change address on all newspaper and magazine subscriptions.
- Arrange for the transfer of all medical, dental and school records.
- Transfer medical, property, fire and auto insurance.
- Organize all move-related documents in one place, such as a folder or binder.
Two Weeks Before The Move
- Cancel/transfer utilities (water, gas, electric, telephone, TV/cable/satellite, Internet).
- Check with your provider about cell phone service in your new location.
- Transfer prescriptions to a pharmacy near your new location.
- Transfer bank accounts to a local branch if needed.
- Collect or purchase all packing supplies; boxes, wrapping paper, bubble wrap, labels, markers, box cutters or scissors and packing tape.
- Pack up items in garage, attic and storage areas.
One Week Before The Move
- Empty, defrost and clean refrigerator, freezer and stove.
- Return all rented movies, library books, video games, etc.
- Pick up anything outstanding such as dry cleaning or prescriptions, etc.
The Day Before The Move
- Do a final check of closets, cabinets and drawers.
- Make sure you have enough cash on hand for the move.
- Take out all the trash.
- Fully charge all cell phones and other devices.
The Day of The Move
- Exchange contact information with the movers and provide them with your cell phone, old and new address and directions to their destination.
- Keep jewelry and other valuables with you in a box that you move yourself.
- Prepare a box of supplies that you may need right away on move-in day, such as: cleaning supplies, snacks and beverages, toilet paper, bath and bedding items, trash bags, disposable dishes, pet food, cell phone chargers, prescriptions, eyeglasses and changes of clothing.
- Do a final check before locking the doors.
- Confirm that you have turned off all appliances, AC/Heat, lights and lawn sprinklers.
- Turn over keys and garage door openers.